Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Drive By

With the amount of fun I had yesterday playing with Annoying in the snow, I decided today to try and find an act of kindness that was a little more passive. In other words, I didn't want to talk to anyone. My original thought was to help my wife. She got a new laptop a few weeks ago (I've already been scolded several times for using it), and has been having trouble with the touch pad. Her hands are so small that when using proper typing position, her palms touch the pad and undesirably move the cursor.

I saw two potential solutions to her problem:
  1. Buy her a wireless mouse and program the touch pad to deactivate when the mouse was present, or
  2. Keep letting her accidentally delete things in hope that she'd start to hate her laptop... and give it to me.
I'm a softie at heart, so I went to Wal-Mart to find her a mouse. As soon as I entered the parking lot I started eye-hawking close parking spots.  I noticed a car on the second row put it's backup lights on and I made a bee line straight for it. My timing was perfect and the spot was mine for the taking. Then it hit me... build kindness.

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw an average looking lady in an average looking car on my bumper. So, what did I do? You guessed it... I froze my butt off walking from a spot much further down the next lane. I know that that lady has no clue I passed that spot up for her, but that's not the point of what I'm doing. I want kindness to be instinctual / second nature for me. The more I do things like this, the more it will become apart of who I am.

I did end up getting my wife the mouse, but I felt more impacted by the parking spot. This commercial makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment