Sunday, March 14, 2010

Burger Connoisseur

I'm not known for trying new foods. The twins (Jana and Kelsey) often make fun of me by saying that I only eat chicken strips and french fries. Of course, they're exaggerating. I pass on chicken fingers in favor of cheese burgers close to 90 percent of the time. 

There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a meal. Obviously there is price, taste and portion size, but almost as important is "how is this going to complement my sweet tea?" Beef has proven itself to me. I could sit here and defend my meal selection all day, but the point is I'm right and they're wrong. Nonetheless, I do have to admit that my taste buds have changed since I was younger. More foods taste acceptable to me now, and it doesn't make sense to miss out on good grub because of habit. 

I've done several things to expand my flavor comprehension. Mainly, I've been ordering new things. A couple nights ago I went as far as to tell the waiter at Carrabba's to pick something for me- anything without mushrooms. The meal he showed up with was a grilled chicken stuffed with fontina cheese and prosciutto, topped with a basil lemon butter sauce... and was amazing. Now if I could just find a way to eat new things and build kindness, I'd be in luck.

*insert luck here*

Sunday, I attend the 17th Annual Soup Sunday with Jen and Scheibe. Soup Sunday is a fundraiser where chefs from over 50 Nashville area restaurants dish out their best broths, stews and chowders to hungry do-gooders. All the attendees, along with a handful of celebrity guest judges, taste the soups and vote for their favorites. This year's event was attended by 1500+ people and raised more than $80,000 for Our Kids, an organization that provides medical evaluations and crisis counseling for children struggling with issues of child sexual abuse.

It was both filling and fulfilling. Look at all our empty soup cups.
 

1 comment:

  1. On another note... after re-reading my comment above, I feel that it is important to say that it sounds serious and stern, but really it was written lightheartedly and with a smile.

    Thanks for being the first non-mother to post a comment. Hopefully my return comment doesn't keep you from doing more so in the future. I do really appreciate you guys taking the time to read my blog and make comments. And I promise that next time I get extra free tickets to a belly stuffing extravaganza... they'll most definitely be headed your way.

    ReplyDelete