Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Oh how do I mooch thee?

Have you ever heard that poem by Elizabeth Browning called "How do I love thee?" Even if you haven't ever read the entire thing, you'd probably recognize the first two sentences: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." Below I've created a spoof of this poem for your reading pleasure:

How do I MOOCH thee? Let me count the ways.
I mooch thee to the bank for hard cash and dough
My hand can reach, when funds are on low
For the entertainment, drama and play.
I mooch thee to the movies on opening day
Most quiet plead, for food and good time,
I mooch thee freely, for every last dime.
I mooch thee often, and on other's behalf.
I mooch thee with a passion turned into craft
In my old briefs, and with my ragged shoes,
I mooch thee with a calming rhythm and blues.
Smiles and tears, the heart strings I tug --- I mooch thee with all my power,
This mooching is a able drug --- I shall but mooch thee best this hour.

Where am I going with this? Well, as a young adult I have mooched a lot in my life. Last Thursday Jen and I went to dinner with Scheibe and his dad. In meals past I would have gladly accepted the "adult" at the table's offer the pick up the check. This time however, even though Scheibe's dad was going to treat us, I wouldn't let him. Instead I paid for everyone's dinner. I told him thanks for the offer and thanks for all the previous times we had dinner on his dime. He said, "Awe heck! We should do this more often." Good times building kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment