Thursday, March 18, 2010

Keep Your Eye on the Ball/Bird

I've been building kindness daily for nearly a month now, and some days I'm really in the zone! I wake up thinking kindness, I work looking forward to kindness, I do kindness, I blog about kindness, and then I go to sleep and dream about kindness (the dream part is an exaggeration).

Unfortunately, not everyday is this concentrated on kindness. Thursday for example, kindness crossed my mind several times, but it was gone just about as quickly as it appeared. The video below is a good metaphor for how my mind treats thoughts about kindness on some days. In the clip, the bird is a thought about kindness. The baseball is another thought that is... apparently more important.



See how fast the bird disappears? I know, I'm terrible.

But if I'm being honest, this is a lot like how last Thursday was for me. I went all day and hadn't come up with anything to do... not because I had kindness-block, but because I just didn't think about it. Luckily, Arby's had me covered. Jen and I went to Arby's (bc we had a coupon and that place is pricey) for dinner and the girl ringing us up asked if we'd like to donate a dollar to the Big Brothers, Big Sisters of America. POW! Instant roll reversal- all my other thoughts immediately became the bird. I quickly responded yes and whipped out an extra buck.

Jen was like, "huh?" and I explained that I hadn't done anything to build kindness today. She laughed her cute little laugh and wrote my name on one of the pieces of paper they use to show off everyone who's donated. Now that I'm letting people read my blog, maybe I'll donate another dollar at Arby's and write BuildKindess.com instead of my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment