Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Golf Pricks

Thursday night my dad mentioned that he was playing golf Friday afternoon with some of his friends (their group is lovingly known as the Golf Pricks- they have a website and everything). He said that they might need an extra person to even out the teams. I have a little bit of extra time built into my schedule for emergencies like this, so I said that I could be there to fill in if they needed me.

Friday arrives and my dad calls to says that he still doesn't know what their numbers are, and that if I didn't mind showing up at the golf course just to see, that would help the whole group. I did not want to do this. Kinda like the mooching thing in my last post, I knew that if I did show up, and was not needed, they would have felt obligated, because I was there, to place me into the game anyways.

The solution I came up with was to drive out there and hide in my truck. I've played with them several times before, so I was able to watch and count as everyone arrived. My dad was the only one who knew I might be coming (and he was getting there late), so I figured that if they didn't need me... I'd just leave. Well my dad told me the wrong tee time (he often does this on purpose so I show up to things early instead of on time- hypocrite) and I ended up sitting in my truck for half an hour.

Finally, when I knew what the count was I drove my truck down to the driving range and announced that I was there just in case they needed me to even out the teams. Nonetheless, this made them happy for a couple reason. One, they were about to start scrambling to find an extra person. And two, they all think they're better at golf than me and that I'm easy money. Little did they know, showing up was my act to build kindness for the day... not donating from my wallet. I played okay for my first time out (shot 83), but I ended up making two birdies on the back nine and because of their elaborate scat game... I won $28. Man, it's nice to see an immediate return on kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment