Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Here Kids, Go Play in the Street

Before I went to help Jana pick up her TV Sunday I cleaned out the cab of my truck a bit. One of the specific things I did was take the money from my coin tray and separate out the pennies from the "real money." All together I had probably 50 pennies. Just enough to get in the way. My first thought was to take the pennies to a gas station and dump them in a change jar, but that was very similar to what I did at Subway the week before, so I wanted to save that as a last resort if I couldn't come up with anything better.

Well Tuesday rolled around and I hadn't done anything with the pennies yet. It was about 5pm and I was pulling into my condo complex when an idea quickly hit me. There are two little girls that live near the front of the complex. The oldest is probably 7 and the other is... I'd guess closer to 5. They are always riding their little razor scooters around the parking lot and every time they see us walking our dogs they run up to play with them. They appear to be happy, nice kids.

I was thinking about how much fun it used to be finding a penny on the ground when I was their age. Not only was it cash money that I could buy candy with, there is the saying that finding a penny on heads is good luck. So in one fluid motion I hit the window down button, reached over for my can of pennies and dumped all of them out the driver side of my truck into the street directly in front of the girls' door. We're talking it wasn't more that 100ft between the time I came up with the idea and when I dumped the pennies.

It wasn't more than another 100ft that I thought that probably was a bad idea. I just gave these little girls a reason to play in the street. I didn't turn around and I haven't seen any ambulances since then, so we're probably good. Of course, I haven't seen the girls since then either, so I post this hesitantly (I can always delete it if need be). Really though, my mom is the only ones who reads this thing anyways, and I think she's got my back. You do... don't you mom??

No comments:

Post a Comment